from the mouth of babes -- a difference one person can make

Years ago -- so many years that I hate to admit it, I was sitting in on my parents conversations with a little league coach. They were talking about world and social problems. Suddenly, the solution rose to my mind in a panorama so clear it was as if I were an urban and social planner. I piped up "if everybody does something"... Rather than discount fully an innocent child's description of what it would take for everyone to make a difference, someone took the time to ask me what I meant." I saw a vision of each person making a choice to contribute and help out someone else. The ditch digger, the banker, the farmer--each pitching in.

I've seen the choice a community can make to contribute to the betterment of common man. I was blessed to see MANY pitch in when a friend died. One stayed with the wife and supported the children. Others purchased goods and brought them by. Someone looked in and gave foot massages and did her hair. Many creative and caring things were done. When I asked why this person later took someone in when they did not have a home, I was told, "In my culture, each person in the community is of worth and value and has a purpose."

I was faced with a choice recently...a couch was being donated but a loved one forgot and offered it in exchange for plumbing services. Do I choose material gain? or, do I follow through with my commitment and assist those in need. Faced with a choice, after I considered the options, I realized my father would prefer his couch be given to those in need and that it was FAR better that I be true to my word and follow through with my commitments than to profit from material gain at the expense of others.

Popular posts from this blog

one June night...

HOTTT!!