people are more important than things...

It began as a simple game...the easter-egg-hunt. My brother was always better than me--and faster. Year after year after year he showed me up. Finally, I decided, my only hope of getting more chocolate easter eggs than my brother was to hunt ahead of time so that, when the time came to (really) hunt them out, I would at least have a fighting chance of finding them.
Someone was coming! In the early morning light, it was difficult to see. I had lifted the chimney off of the kerosene lamp to confirm I was seeing one inside the light. In my haste to return the chimney to the lamp, my hand shook. I dropped it. It was broken.
In the morning light, I looked into my mothers face and heard her rath.
To this day, that lamp is a reminder to me what I realized then (listening to her anger) that people are more important than things.

Popular posts from this blog

one June night...

HOTTT!!